maandag 1 september 2008

Jon McLaughlin on The Cover of David Atlanta




Why you should know who Jon McLaughlin is

By BUCK C. COOKE
Aug. 20, 2008

HE'S HANDSOME, TALENTED AND puts on a passionate live show. So why have most people never heard of Jon McLaughlin?

McLaughlin’s debut album, “Indiana,” received wide acclaim, and his performance at last year’s Academy Awards of “So Close” from the Disney movie “Enchanted” garnered stellar reviews.

Others may remember him as the answer to the question: "Who is that cute guy who opened for Kelly Clarkson?"

Well, now's your chance to get in on all the buzz. McLaughlin rolls into Atlanta Aug. 22 to promote his new album, “OK Now,” due out in October.

The piano man tells David all about how the new album is less driven by the ivory 88 than his debut, and how he taps into some retro roots.

“I am into the ‘80s right now, so there’s a little bit of pop influences on the record,” he says. “It’s really diverse, stylistically. There’s a straight-up jazz song on there. It’s more upbeat and danceable.”

For “OK Now,” McLaughlin says he “definitely went into the writing and recording process way, way, way more open."

“I am a piano player. I love Ben Folds Five,” he admits, but also, “I like Radiohead, and in the past, I would hear a song by them but never think that I could write music like that.

"Going into this album, I was open to anything and everything, not to feel that I can’t write any genre of music.”

The results should yield more radio play and sales for McLaughlin. He combines artful turns of phrase with considerable skills behind the piano, and the results are spellbinding.

“BEATING MY HEART,” the lead single for “OK Now,” still features the piano, but the track is guitar-driven and would fit right in on pop and adult contemporary radio. On “We All Need Saving,” McLaughlin went for “an a capella thing.”

“It’s stacks of me singing these ‘ooos’ like a choir,” he says, adding that the song evolved in many forms: “Me at the piano, me on the guitar, a big band version…”

On “Four Years,” McLaughlin speaks directly to teenagers.

“You realize the rest of your life is before you and that high school is only four years," he says. "Your life is more than the stupid, petty, little things that annoy you. I wish I could go back in time and not worry about the stupid stuff.”

AS HE GEARS UP for his show in Atlanta, one of the last stops on this leg of his tour, McLaughlin reflects on the special place our city holds in his heart.

“I think the first time I played Atlanta was at Eddie’s Attic, and it was probably the worst show I have ever played,” he laughs. “We had a great turnout, and I totally freaked out. It knocked me off my game that people were there. I didn’t know what to do.

"Afterward, I thought, ‘I can’t do this for a living. I wasted everyone’s time.’”

Good for all of us, and apparently thanks to some of us, it all turned out alright.

“Atlanta’s one of the only cities that has supported me since the beginning,” he says, adding that this tour is wowing even him.

“The fans have been seriously great,” McLaughlin says. “I leave this tour feeling like I want to write a thank you card to every single person who came to the show.”

That's OK, Jon. Just keep doing what you're doing. We'll listen. Oh, and keep posing for pictures.

Geen opmerkingen: