dinsdag 2 september 2008

Mainstream Spotlight: Jon McLaughlin

September 2, 2008 ·

Jon McLaughlin is a piano-playing pop/rock singer-songwriter from Anderson, Indiana. His debut project “Indiana” with the hit single “Beautiful Disaster was released last year. Now he’s ready to drop a new project “OK Now”, but before it comes out we wanted you to get to know more about him in our exclusive interview. Jon talks about how he ended up signing with a mainstream label, the story behind “Beautiful Disaster”, why he’d love to have Billy Joel on tour with him and how Tom Petty has impacted his life.

ST.net: Where are you and what are you doing today?

Jon: I’m in Indiana on my way home today actually. I have about a week to just relax a little. Maybe do some writing.

ST.net: Whenever I hear “Beautiful Disaster” from your current project “Indiana” on the radio I immediately think of my 3 little girls (Isabella 9, Grace 7, & Victoria 1) and how much they need to hear me say their beautiful. More importantly that their Father in Heaven also thinks they’re beautiful. What is the story behind the song?

Jon: I wrote Beautiful Disaster with a guy named Jamie Houston who produced a lot of “Indiana”. We wrote it the first day that we met. It wasn’t written about one certain incident or even for one certain person although I think Jamie and I had a few people in mind when we wrote it just as you thought of your daughters. Everyone has a warped self-image to some degree no matter what you look like. It’s a lot easier for us to see the beauty in others than it is to see it in ourselves. And it’s always frustrating when trying to make someone see what you see; to make them see that they are beautiful.

ST.net: Many our of readers may not know your music and think you’re a new artist. I know that this is untrue, but can you bring us up to speed on how long you’ve been in the music game and who you’ve toured with in the past?

Jon: I read an article in a local paper in one of the cities I was playing the other day that said after performing at the Oscars, I was an over-night success:) In reality, I have been doing this for the last 6 years. I started out at Anderson University, playing at regional colleges and churches. Then I slowly started traveling a little more and more to the point where I was gone every weekend playing sometimes 4 shows. Then after college I signed with Island Def Jam records and have pretty much either been on the road or in the studio ever since. My band and I have played with Sara Barielles, Jonny Lang, Kelly Clarkson, One Republic and lots of other really great bands and artists.

ST.net: When can we expect a new project?

Jon: I just finished up a new record called “OK NOW” and it will be out October 7th. I’m counting down the days.

ST.net: What’s the theme or story you’re hoping to tell through it?

Jon: This entire record is about relaxing. Not in a “vacation” way but as a way of life. I’ve noticed a pattern in my life where I’m always looking back to last year’s summer tour or the last recording session or even the show last week and 2 things always happen: I always remember how stressed out I was at the time and I always wonder why I was so stressed out. SO I have really made a conscious effort in the last 5-6 months of my life to just relax and enjoy it as it happens. I’m trying to be better at sifting through what matters and what doesn’t. That’s the message of this record.

ST.net: If you could have any artist on tour with you, Christian or mainstream, who would it be and why?

Jon: That’s a tough question. I’m bad at this one… I think, at this moment, I would say Billy Joel. He was my first inspiration to be a musician and he’s still my biggest.

ST.net: Any tours coming up that we should tell people about?

Jon: I have a few things coming up in the fall that I’m excited about. I’m doing some shows with the Hard Rock Cafe to raise money for breast cancer research with their Pinktober campaign.

ST.net: What’s the one thing you “Must Have” on the road?

Jon: Caffeine. Must have. The schedule gets so ridiculous sometimes, and there’s almost this element of ‘I want to see just how many places I can possibly be over the nest 24 hours’ - :) and I definitely need God’s grace and hand in all of it, I need my wife with me, I need sleep…and I NEED caffeine:)

ST.net:
What one artist or speaker has had the biggest impact on you and why?

Jon: Tom Petty. Aside from the fact that I love and admire his music, I also just love and admire the way he has carried himself through his career. I don’t know whether he’s a beleiver or not but I think he’s a very wise man who has been extremely blessed and who has something to say.

ST.net:
Have you ever Googled yourself?

Jon: Yes, it wasn’t that interesting:)

ST.net:
Do you drink coffee or tea?

Jon: Tea

ST.net: Do you roll in a bus or van on tour?

Jon: Last year we were in a bus and I missed my van. Now I’m in the van and I my the bus.

ST.net: Are you a cat or dog person?

Jon: Dog

ST.net: Do you use myspace or facebook?

Jon: Myspace

ST.net: Do you prefer a Subway sandwich or a Quizno’s sandwich?

Jon: Quizno’s

ST.net: Is it the journey or the destination that keeps you going?

Jon: Journey

ST.net: Thank you Jon.

In honor of Breast Cancer Awareness Month, Jon will be hooking up with the Hard Rock Cafe for their “Pinktober” live music series at the end of the month. Committed to its “Love All, Serve All” creed, Hard Rock Cafe will donate proceeds from their Pinktober events worldwide to breast cancer research and awareness organizations around the globe. Jon is another great example to me of artists who happen to be Christian showing the love of the Lord to a hurting world through their music.


http://www.stereotruth.net/2008/09/mainstream-spotlight-jon-mclaughlin/


Geen opmerkingen: