zondag 8 februari 2009

My 2nd Jon McL Concert Experience

Just thought I'd post a bit about my second Jon McL experience.

Date: January 31, 2009
Where: Blender Theater at the Gramercy in New York City, NY

This was my second time seeing Jon perform live and it was a pretty good show. I say 'pretty good' because a couple of unfortunate things happened: 1) Jon got sick in Boston [the concert before this show], so his voice was a little groggy but he did his best to put on a great show and 2) the fire alarm at the venue went off 4 times while he was performing (3 times during his performance and once before he went on)

Here was his setlist to the best of my ability (not all songs are in order):
Industry, Beating My Heart, Always On My Mind (interrupted), You Are the One I Love, Amelia's Missing, Perfect, Beautiful Disaster, Why I'm Talking to You, Human, Come Together (Beatles cover-- interrupted), Four Years (interrupted) and Indiana.

A few songs were performed differently. You are the One I Love and Amelia's Missing lasted a little longer their album versions and Beautiful Disaster was completely revised, it sounded nothing like the album version, but it was great to hear an updated version of the song.

I recorded his performance of 'You Are the One I Love'. It's a really great version live, the video doesn't do the song justice. Check the video out:



After the concert, I, along with few dozen people waited downstairs at the venue's bar to see if Jon would come out and greet the fans. About 40 mins. of waiting, it appeared that he would not be coming out and the staff started wrapping up to leave, so we were asked to leave. So I stood outside in the freezing weather for about 20-30 mins. At one point I almost wanted to leave but I didn't give in and waited just a bit more. In my mind, I kept thinking this was probably going to be the last time I would ever get the chance to actually meet Jon after a show.

Eventually his band members started to come out one by one, including his wife Amy. Then finally JON came out! I called out his name and walked over to him. I was really nervous and freaking cold I could barely talk and it didn't make me introduce myself properly so I quickly asked him if he could sign his albums for me (Up Until Now, self-titled, Songs I Wrote and Later Recorded, Indiana, and OK NOW), which he did! I thanked him so much for it and probably shook his hand three times. We only talked for a couple of minutes and as we were approaching his touring van, a group of people were waiting there hoping to meet him, so I thanked him once again, told him to take care and left so the other people can have some time with him. =)

He is such a sweet, down-to-earth person, I hope that never changes. I left a very happy person that night... I'll never forget it. =)

Here are some of my pictures of the concert:










Geen opmerkingen: