maandag 10 augustus 2009

Interview with Jon

Here's an interview posted by a writer from the Examiner on Jon's Facebook


Interview with Indiana born recording artist Jon McLaughlin
by Steffani Fox

I recently interviewed Indiana born musician Jon McLaughlin and he was more than happy to share his his musical ponderings with The Examiner. For more information on his upcoming Indianapolis show click here.

Do you miss Indiana and how often do you visit?
- I miss Indiana SO much. The good thing is that I'm in town pretty often for different reasons. Maybe once a month I'm in town. But my wife and I just bought a house in Indy so we'll be moving back in a few months. Couldn't stay away.

Who are some of your influences?
-I've always wanted to be Billy Joel and Elton John. Billy John - that's who I've wanted to be since I was a kid. I think Billy Joel is one of the greatest lyricists ever. And another is Ben Folds. I remember the exact moment when I heard Ben Folds Five for the first time and, not to be dramatic, but I would say it changed my life. I've always wanted to be Billy and Elton but once Ben Folds was the guy who got me to actually give it a shot.


How did you manage to turn your accident into something so positive?
-Well at the time of the accident I had been into classical piano for 11 years already. So it was just time for a break (pun intended). I don't really know what would've happened if I had never had that accident but I was so burnt out that I really think I needed some time to just be a teenager and not think about music for awhile.

Who inspires you?
-I always feel like I'm not a real songwriter - for whatever reason - I don't write enough songs to be a songwriter, or I don't enjoy it enough to call myself a songwriter, or I'm not artsy enough, etc... So I really try to draw inspiration from ANYthing I can. Books, articles, conversations, movies, tv shows, blah blah...I feel like I need all the info I can get if I'm going to try to fake my way through this:)


Who are some of the major acts you've opened for?
-I've done tours with Kelly Clarkson, Sara Barielles, Marc Broussard, Paolo Nutini, and the amazing Jonny Lang. All great artists and some of the absolute nicest people in the world. I really haven't had any bad experiences on the road as far as touring with other bands.

Is there one particular song that truly moves you?
Among a long, long list of others - "Jolene" by Ray LaMontagne.


Thanks Jon and we look forward to your show on August 13th at the Indiana State Fair!

Original source
http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-18321-Indianapolis-Concerts-Examiner~y2009m8d8-Interview-with-Indiana-born-recording-artist-Jon-McLaughlin

Geen opmerkingen: